Commonplace book, 1905-1906. : folio 1 to 27v, plus front cover Public Deposited
- Shelf Mark/Reference Number
- IE TCD MS 4397
- Rights statement
- Copyright The Board of Trinity College Dublin. Images are available for single-use academic application only. Publication, transmission or display is prohibited without formal written approval of the Library of Trinity College, Dublin.
- IE TCD MS 4397 is a notebook of John Millington Synge, previously numbered 34. This notebook was started in 1905 to record impressions of the Congested Districts for Synge's Manchester Guardian articles (fols 43v-48, 50v-51v, 52v-54r, 55v-57). It was afterwards used for miscellaneous purposes: drafts of business letters; two reviews (fols 38-41, 49r-50v); scenarios, notes and dialogue for The Playboy of the Western World (fols 2r-, 3r-v, 4r, 16r-28v, 30r-33v, 35r-36v), with a draft of the preface (fol 34r-v); some ideas for plays (fols 10v-11, 36v, 41v-43); some passages of description of Wicklow and Aran (fols 2v, 6v-8, 9-10, 37v-38); and the drafts of several poems ( folios 4v, 5v, 29v, 52r, 55r). This section contains folio 1 to 27v, plus front cover.
- Collection title
- Papers of John Millington Synge
- After Synge’s death in 1909 all his papers were inherited by his nephew and literary executor Edward M. Stephens. They were purchased by the Library, in 1969, from Stephens’ widow Lily M. Stephens.
- Resource type
- paper (fiber product)
Commonplace book, 1905-1906. : folio 1 to 27v, plus front cover
- Parent works and subseries:
|Thumbnail||Title||Shelf Mark/Reference Number||Visibility||Actions|
|MS4397_001_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 4397||Public||
|MS4397_002_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 4397||Public||
|MS4397_003_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 4397||Public||
|MS4397_004_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 4397||Public||
|MS4397_005_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 4397||Public||
|MS4397_006_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 4397||Public||
|MS4397_007_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 4397||Public||
|MS4397_008_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 4397||Public||
|MS4397_009_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 4397||Public||
|MS4397_010_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 4397||Public||