Work

 

Benedict Burgh, Cato Major (Middle English Verse), etc. IE TCD MS 519 Public Deposited

Benedict Burgh, Cato Major (Middle English Verse), etc. IE TCD MS 519

Alternative title
  • IE TCD MS 519
  • Miscellanea Historica et Theologica
Shelf Mark/Reference Number
  • IE TCD MS 519 ; former shelfmarks: Lyon: E.1.29 ; Bernard: 791 ; Foley: C.16 ; c1670: C.1.17 ; Ussher: III.17
Location
Creator
Contributor
Rights statement
  • Copyright The Board of Trinity College Dublin. Images are available for single-use academic application only. Publication, transmission or display is prohibited without formal written approval of the Library of Trinity College, Dublin.
Date Created
  • between approximately 1400-1444
Physical extent
  • 222 folios
Language
Abstract
  • IE TCD MS 519, Benedict Burgh, Cato Major (Middle English Verse), etc., is a compilation manuscript consisting of 3 parts that were produced in England in the early 15th century. The first part (2-11v) contains the Cato Major of Benedict Burgh. The second part (12-101v) contains a miscellany of historical and theological works. The third part (102-221v) contains the Historia Destructionis Troiae of Guido delle Colonne. Roughly half of the present texts were copied from the exemplar manuscript now London, British Library, Harley MS 5441. The copy of St Edmund of Abingdon, Speculum Ecclesiae in this volume is further related to another copy now British Library, Harley MS 3490 (H. Forshaw (ed.), 'Edmund of Abingdon: Speculum Religiosorum and Speculum Ecclesie' (London, 1973), 3-4). Dating: Dating determined by relationships with London, British Library, Harley MSS 3490 and 5441, as follows: Harley MS 5441, dated early 15h century, served as exemplar to several texts in TCD MS 519; in turn, the text (4) of St Edmund of Abingdon, Speculum Ecclesiae in TCD MS 519 was copied into Harley MS 3490, and produced c. 1444 for Edmund Rede the Younger (1413-1489), sheriff of Oxfordshire and other counties (H. Forshaw (ed.), 'Edmund of Abingdon: Speculum Religiosorum and Speculum Ecclesie' (London, 1973), 3-4; D. Pearsall, 'The Rede (Boarstall) Gower', in A.S.G. Edwards, V. Gillespie and R. Hanna (eds.), 'The English medieval book: studies in memory of Jeremy Griffiths', (London, 2000), 94-97). Extent and medium: Parchment; 222 (including inserted half-leaf 107r-v) leaves (1 and 222 are medieval parchment flyleaves). Dimensions: 300 mm x 195 mm (written space: (part 1) 230 mm x 170 mm; (part 2) 200 mm x 135 mm; (part 3) 200 x 130 mm). Layout: 2 columns, (part 1) c43 lines, (part 2) c44 lines, (part 3) c35 lines. Frame ruling throughout. Script: Anglicana and anglicana with secretary forms, hand of (4) similar in appearance to British Library, Harley MS 3490 copy. A.I. Doyle identifies three main hands in MS (D. Pearsall, o.c., n. 93). Forming binding: Traces of a medieval binding with impressions made by sewing bands remain on fol. 222v, formerly pasted down. (A. Wathey, 'Manuscripts of polyphonic music: supplement 1 to RISM B IV 1-2. The British Isles 1100-1400' (Munich, 1993), 26-28). Rebound 1988 in full veg/alum tanned goatskin. Decoration: (Part 1) Opening initial in blue ink with red pen-flourishing (2), first letter of lines frequently marked in red or yellow; (part 2) initials in blue ink with red pen-flourishing; (part 3) large opening initial of prologue (102) in blue ink with red pen-flourishing, large opening initial of main text (103) in blue ink with red and purple pen-flourishing, paragraph marks in red and blue inks. This description was adapted (2021) from the following sources: T.K. Abbott, 'Catalogue of the Manuscripts in the Library of Trinity College, Dublin' (Dublin, 1900), no. 519 -- M.L. Colker, 'Trinity College Library Dublin Descriptive Catalogue of the Mediaeval and Renaissance Latin Manuscripts' (Aldershot, 1991), no. 519 -- A. Wathey, 'Manuscripts of polyphonic music: supplement 1 to RISM B IV 1-2. The British Isles 1100-1400' (Munich, 1993), 26-28-- M.L. Colker, 'Trinity College Dublin: Supplement One: Descriptive Catalogue of the Mediaeval and Renaissance Latin Manuscripts' (Dublin, 2008), 208 -- J. Scattergood, with N. Pattwell and E. Williams, 'Trinity College Library Dublin: A Descriptive Catalogue of Manuscripts Containing Middle English and Some Old English' (Dublin, 2021), 298. For further information please see the Manuscripts & Archives Research Library’s catalogue entry: https://manuscripts.catalogue.tcd.ie/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=IE+TCD+MS+519&pos=1
Bibliography
  • For TCD MS 519 see Förster o.c. [on (2)] 115:288-303; P. Grosjean in 'Analecta Bollandiana' 46 (1928) 95-96; Thomson locc. citt.; F. Stegmüller, 'Repertorium Biblicum Medii Aeui', no. 276.3; Forshaw o.c. [on (5)] 3, 4, 27 and in 'Archives d’histoire doctrinale et littéraire', 1972 (for 1971) 16; B. Lambert, 'Bibliotheca Hieronymiana Manuscripta', Instrumenta Patristica 4, (Steenbrugge, 1959-1972), 4 volumes, no. 903; F. Römer, 'Die handschriftliche Überlieferung der Werke des heiligen Augustinus', Bd. ii/2 (Grossbritannien und Irland) in Österreichische Akademie der Wissenschaften, Phil.-Hist. Kl., Sitzungbericht 276 (Vienna, 1972), 330-334, 334; H. Spilling, 'Die Visio Tnugdali, Münchener Beiträge zur Mediävistik und Renaissance-Forschung' 21, (Munich, 1975), 23 n.65; M.W. Bloomfield et al., 'Incipits of Latin Works on the Virtues and Vices, 1100-1500 A.D.', no. 3889; A. Wathey, 'Manuscripts of Polyphonic Music: Supplement to RISM B IV: The British Isles, 1100-1400', (Munich, 1993), 26-28; P. Navone in 'Studi medievali', ser. 3, volume 35 (1994) 904; 'R. Sharpe, 'A Handlist of the Latin Writers of Great Britain and Ireland before 1540', Publications of the Journal of Medieval Latin 1, (2001), 236, 260, 546. A. S. G. Edwards, Vincent Gillespie & Ralph Hanna (eds.), 'The English medieval book: studies in memory of Jeremy Griffiths', (London: The British Library, 2000), p 93, reports that Forshaw associates its hand with British Library Harley MS 3490.
Finding aid
Provenance
  • Unidentified 16th-century inscription note: (150) 'Iohn / Slad'. Manuscript features shelfmark of the book collection of The Most Reverend James Ussher, Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland (r. 1625-1656), ‘III 17.’ (2). The Ussher library was gifted by King Charles II to Trinity College Dublin in 1661.
Sponsor
  • This digitisation work was made possible by a grant from the Carnegie Corporation of New York.
Subject
Keyword
Format
Resource type
Medium
  • colored ink
  • ink
Support
  • parchment (animal material)
  • vegetable-tanned goatskin
Digital Object Id
  • MS519_001
Source
  • 0152450

Relationships

Parent works and subseries:

This object has no parent works or subseries.

In Collection:

Items