Prison journal of Cecilia Saunders Poiblí Deposited
- Cód seilf/Uimhir thagartha
- IE TCD MS 10056
- Ráiteas cearta
- Copyright The Board of Trinity College Dublin. Images are available for single-use academic application only. Publication, transmission or display is prohibited without formal written approval of the Library of Trinity College, Dublin.
- Copyright status
- Estate of C. Saunders?
- Dáta a cruthaíodh
- start 24-05-1923
- end -11-1923
- Prison journal 24 May-17 November 1923, kept by Cecilia Saunders during her internment (9 November 1922-28 September 1923) and after her release, in Dublin and Cork (October-November 1923). Saunders was born in Cork in 1889. She was one of ten children and her family owned a horticultural nursery. She was a pupil at Miss Kelly's private school at South Mall, Cork and later at Belrive, the Faithful Companions of Jesus boarding school in Liverpool. She taught English in a Jewish boarding school in Weisbaden, Germany in 1912-13 where she made the acquaintance of Erna Walter, later married to Hugo Wortsmann. Cecilia and Frank Gallagher, who were married in 1922, were successful in gathering support for the admission of the Wortsmanns to England in 1939 as refugees while they awaited their visas to move to the US in 1940. Cecilia worked as a bank clerk, in the Provincial Bank and later in the National Land Bank, in Cork prior to her marriage. . Frank Gallagher was arrested and interned on 10 Oct 1922 and Cecilia Gallagher was arrested on 9 November. The couple spent their first Christmas as a married couple in different wings of Mountjoy Jail. Cecilia remained at Mountjoy until her transfer on 6 Feb 1923 to Kilmainham Jail. On 1 May 1923 she was moved to the North Dublin Union and was finally released on 28 September 1923. She died in Dublin in 1967.Part of the ‘Papers of Frank Gallagher (1893-1962) and Cecilia Saunders (1889-1967)’ collection, IE TCD MSS 10050-10065, which includes correspondence, diaries, articles, reviews, poems, newspapers, short stories, photographs and memorabilia. Other Gallagher material ‘The Further Papers of Frank Gallagher (1893-1962) and Cecilia Saunders (1889-1967)’ can be found in the Manuscripts & Archives Research Library at IE TCD MS 11121.
- Teideal bailiúcháin
- Papers of Frank Gallagher (1893-1962) and Cecilia Saunders (1889-1967)
- Cineál acmhainne
- paper (fiber product)
- Aitheantóir Oibiachta Digití
Prison journal of Cecilia Saunders
- Máthairshaothair agus foshraitheanna:
Ní bhaineann máthairshaothair ná foshraitheanna leis an ábhar seo.
|Mionsamhail||Teideal||Cód seilf/Uimhir thagartha1||Infheictheacht||Gníomhartha|
|MS10056_01_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 10056||Poiblí||
|MS10056_02_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 10056||Poiblí||
|MS10056_03_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 10056||Poiblí||
|MS10056_04_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 10056||Poiblí||
|MS10056_05_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 10056||Poiblí||
|MS10056_06_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 10056||Poiblí||
|MS10056_07_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 10056||Poiblí||
|MS10056_08_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 10056||Poiblí||
|MS10056_09_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 10056||Poiblí||
|MS10056_10_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 10056||Poiblí||