Work

 

Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, etc. IE TCD MS 631. Part 1, folios 1 to 21 Public Deposited

Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, etc. IE TCD MS 631. Part 1, folios 1 to 21

Identifier
  • IE TCD MS 631
Location
Creator
Contributeurs
Rights statement
  • Copyright The Board of Trinity College Dublin. Images are available for single-use academic application only. Publication, transmission or display is prohibited without formal written approval of the Library of Trinity College, Dublin.
Publisher location
  • [England]
Date Created
  • [between approximately 1563-1564]
Physical extent
  • 21 folios ; 21 x 15 cm.
Language
Abstract
  • IE TCD MS 631, Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, etc., is a composite manuscript consisting of four parts that were produced separately in England, written between the late 16th and early 17th centuries. This first part, folios 1-21 (images 001-050), contains: A copy dated 1563-1564 of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle (G-text) from the beginning to AD 1002, transcribed from London, British Library, Cotton MS Otho B XI by William Lambarde: Er cristis geflescnesse sixti ?intra gaius iulius se casere - þingode ond hie namon frið. 21v left blank, and followed by unfoliated blank bifolium. The text of the Cotton manuscript chronicle was printed in A. Wheelock (ed.), 'Historiae ecclesiasticae gentis Anglorum libri V' of Bede the Venerable (Cambridge, 1644) 503-62, but all except three leaves were destroyed in the Ashburnham House fire of October 1731, so this transcript by Lambarde is a significant source for research. Layout: Single column, c20-34 lines. Script: Hand of William Lambarde emulating English Vernacular minuscule script. Watermarks: the first part, folios 1-21, features watermark of royal orb consisting of two lines, resembling WZIS nos. DE5580-Clm720_18 and DE5580-Clm720_31; the blank bifolium (unfoliated, between 21-22) features watermark of Bavarian coat of arms with crowned figure portrait below, resembling Likhachev no. 4197. Collation analysis: quire signatures present in this part, part 1, only: A (1), B (9), C (17) and D (21). Catchwords also present (6v, 7r-v, 8v, 9r-v, 11v, 12, 13-20v).
Note
  • In Latin, English, and Old English.
  • Former shelfmarks: Lyon: E.5.19 ; Bernard: 301; Foley: [G.6]; c1670: [H.1.3]
Related url
Bibliography
  • This description was adapted (2021) from the following sources: T.K. Abbott, 'Catalogue of the Manuscripts in the Library of Trinity College, Dublin' (Dublin, 1900), no. 631; M.L. Colker, 'Trinity College Library Dublin Descriptive Catalogue of the Mediaeval and Renaissance Latin Manuscripts' (Aldershot, 1991), no. 631; J. Roberts and A.G. Watson, 'John Dee's Library Catalogue' (London, 1990), no. DM17; J. Scattergood, with N. Pattwell and E. Williams, 'Trinity College Library Dublin: A Descriptive Catalogue of Manuscripts Containing Middle English and Some Old English' (Dublin, 2021), 324-25. For IE TCD MS 631, see J. Ingram (ed.), 'The Saxon Chronicle' (London, 1823) xxi-xxii; B. Thorpe, 'Anglo-Saxon Chronicle' 1, Rolls Series, (London, 1861), xx; W. O'Sullivan, 'Ussher as a Collector of Manuscripts', in 'Hermathena' no. 88 (1956), 39; A. Lutz, 'Die version G der angelsachcischen Cronik: Rekonstruction und Edition' (Munich, 1981); J. Roberts and A.G. Watson, 'John Dee's Library Catalogue' (London, 1990) item no. DM17 on 161, 245; J. Scattergood, with N. Pattwell and E. Williams, 'Trinity College Library Dublin: A Descriptive Catalogue of Manuscripts Containing Middle English and Some Old English' (Dublin, 2021), 324-25.
Finding aid
Provenance
  • The first part of IE TCD MS 631 was copied by lawyer and antiquarian William Lambarde (1536-1601), between 1563 and 9 April 1564, and was later acquired by James Ussher, archbishop of Armagh and primate of All Ireland (r. 1625-1656) as evidenced by inscription in his own hand on folio 21 and mention of the text in a letter from jurist John Selden (1584-1654) to Ussher, dated 14 September 1625: 'I have returned the Saxon annals again, as you desired, with this suit, that if you have more of them (for these are very slight ones)' (C.R. Elrington (ed.), 'The Whole Works of the Most Reverend James Ussher, D.D.', vol. 15 (Dublin, 1864), Letter XCVIII, p. 302). The compiled manuscript does not feature the shelfmark of Ussher's library, but likely entered the collections through the gift of the library by King Charles II to Trinity College Dublin in 1661.
Sponsor
  • This digitisation work was made possible by a grant from the Carnegie Corporation of New York.
Subject
Mot-clé
Format
Resource type
Medium
  • ink
Support
  • paper (fiber product)
  • leather
Source
  • b197268948

Des relations

Label

Articles