Work

 

Archives of the Zoological Society of Ireland Public Deposited

Archives of the Zoological Society of Ireland

Shelf Mark/Reference Number
  • IE TCD MS 10608
Location
Creator
Rights statement
  • Copyright The Board of Trinity College Dublin. Images are available for single-use academic application only. Publication, transmission or display is prohibited without formal written approval of the Library of Trinity College, Dublin.
Date Created
  • start 1836
  • end 1979
Language
Abstract
  • The Royal Zoological Society of Ireland (RZSI) was founded in Dublin on 10 May 1830 at a meeting in the Rotunda Hospital. Present were the surgeon-general Philip Crampton (1777-1858), and physician and lecturer Whitley Stokes (1830-1909), together with an influential body of supporters. The Duke of Leinster chaired the foundation meeting, the Earl of Longford proposed the first resolution, the Earls of Leitrim and Howth sat on the foundation committee, along with eminent doctors, academics and scientists. Its main aim was to function as a learned society for the study of zoology, and to form a collection of living animals similar to that of the Zoological Society of London. Dublin Zoo opened in September 1831 in the Phoenix Park. The Society's first general meeting was held in November 1832. In 1838, the Zoo held an open day to mark the coronation of Queen Victoria and the Society was rewarded with the prefix 'Royal' in its name. In 1993 The Zoological Society of Ireland (ZSI) replaced the Royal Zoological Society of Ireland. It is the body responsible for running Dublin Zoo, where it is based, and Fota Wildlife Park in County Cork. For information on the Society’s 155 volume archival collection held in the Manuscripts & Archives Research Library please see: https://manuscripts.catalogue.tcd.ie/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=IE+TCD+MS+10608&pos=1
Subject
Keyword
Format
Resource type
Medium
  • ink
Support
  • paper (fiber product)
Culture
  • Irish
Digital Object Id
  • MS10608-24-1_02
Source
  • 0151505