Vues et perspectives en Dresden et ses environs, peintes et gravées par B. Bellotto Public Deposited
8 plates of views of Dresden by Bernardo Bellotto (born Venice, 1721; died Warsaw, 1780). Bellotto was a painter and draughtsman, as well as the nephew and pupil of Canaletto. Bellotto devoted himself ...
- 8 plates of views of Dresden by Bernardo Bellotto (born Venice, 1721; died Warsaw, 1780). Bellotto was a painter and draughtsman, as well as the nephew and pupil of Canaletto. Bellotto devoted himself to painting townscapes; his topographical views had a personal style characterised by cold colour and austere geometry. His first views were created while he travelled in Italy with his uncle during the 1740s. In 1747 Frederick-Augustus II, Elector of Saxony and King of Poland invited Bellotto to Dresden and he became royal painter in 1748. Frederick Augustus wanted to make Dresden into one of the major capitals in Europe, and was transforming the city architecturally, while at the same time attracting many foreign artists. Bellotto painted a series of large paintings for the Elector and the Prime minister, including royal residences, the village of Pirna and the nearby castle of Konigstein. These were later turned into engravings. Dresden was occupied by the Prussian army at the outbreak of the Seven years War in 1756, and Bellotto moved to Vienna in 1758. See: Nigel Gauk-Roger. "Bellotto, Bernardo." Grove Art Online. Oxford Art Online. Oxford University Press, accessed November 2, 2016, http://www.oxfordartonline.com/subscriber/article/grove/art/T007713Plate 1: View of the square in the new town of Dresden. ‘Peint et gravée par Bernard Bellotto dit Canaletto Peintre Roial.Plate 2: Perspective view of the Catholic Church of the Royal Court of Saxony. ‘Ce Tableau fait par ordre de S. M. Le Roÿ de Pologne et Elec. de Sax. &.&.&. Peint desinée, et gravée par Bernard Bellotto dit Canaletto.1748’.Plate 3: Perspective view of the square of the Grande Garde with the Catholic church on the right and various market stalls in the centre. ‘La vue a eté tirée de la Meren-Strasse. Depeint, dessiné et gravé par Berrd.Bellotto dit Canaletto Penre. Rle. 1750’.Plate 4: Exterior view of the gate of Italy and the ramparts in the town of Dresden. ‘Peint et gravé par Ber. Bellotto dit Canaletto Peintre du Roi 1750’.Plate 5: View of the Grande Square in the old market in Dresden with the church of the Holy Cross in the background. 'Peint dessinné et gravé par Ber. Belloto dit Canaletto Peintre du Roy 1752'.Plate 6: View of the Grande Square in the old market in Dresden with the royal castle in the background. 'Peint dessinné et gravé par Ber. Belloto dit Canaletto Peintre du Roy 1752'.Plate 7: View of the new town of Dresden and of His Majesty’s Palace. ‘Ce tableau fait par ordre de Sa Majeste Le Roy de Pologne et Elec. de Sax. &.&.&. Peint, dessiné et gravé par Ber.Bellotto dit Canaletto Pein Rle 1747’.Plate 8: View of the main square in Dresden with the church behind and the Galerie Royale on the left. ‘La vue a eté prise du Juden Hoff. Depeint, dessiné et gravé par Ber.Beloto dit Canaletto Pein Rle 1749.'
- Date Created
- created 1750
- Collection title
- Fagel Collection
- paper (fiber product)
- Purchased in 1802 by Trinity College Dublin, along with the rest of the Fagel library, formerly in The Hague.
- prints (visual works)
- Shelf Mark/Reference Number
- Early Printed Books, Trinity College Library, Dublin
- Rights statement
- Copyright The Board of Trinity College Dublin. Images are available for single-use academic application only. Publication, transmission or display is prohibited without formal written approval of the Library of Trinity College, Dublin.
- Last modified
- Resource type
- Digital Object Id
- Parent works and subseries:
- In Collection:
This object has no parent works or subseries.