Work

 

St. Mary's Abbey manuscript. Folio 118-120r: Ordinances of 1310 Public Deposited

St. Mary's Abbey manuscript. Folio 118-120r: Ordinances of 1310

Alternative title
  • Ordinances of 1310
Shelf Mark/Reference Number
  • IE TCD MS 11500
Creator
Contributors
Rights statement
  • Copyright The Board of Trinity College Dublin. Images are available for single-use academic application only. Publication, transmission or display is prohibited without formal written approval of the Library of Trinity College, Dublin.
Copyright status
Date Created
  • circa 1400-1425
Language
Abstract
  • IE TCD MS 11500, St. Mary's Abbey manuscript. Folio 118-120r :preliminary version of the ordinances of 1310, in Anglo-Norman French.Professor Phillip Seymour has added the following information:It is not strictly correct to describe the material as a ‘Preliminary version of the Ordinances of 1310’. The material in MS 11500 all belongs to 1310 and consists of the following: the barons' petition for the reform of the realm, Edward II's letters patent of 16 March allowing the election of the Ordainers, the six preliminary Ordinances issued shortly after their election, and the names of the Ordainers. The Ordinances as a whole were composed during 1310-11 and finally published in October 1311. The material in MS 11500 is really preliminary to the Ordinances rather than a preliminary version of the Ordinances ( (Phillip Seymour, Edward II, in the English Monarchs Series (New Haven & London, 2010), pp. 161-80). Copies of the documents were probably made officially or semi-officially for wider circulation to institutions or individuals. It is not surprising that the material should be included in a manuscript belonging to an institution such as St. Mary’s Abbey with such a close involvement and interest in public events. One may guess is that a copy was sent to Ireland for the information of the Dublin administration and that it was given to or copied for St. Mary’s Abbey. Other copies may well turn up in future.
Provenance
  • Two separate sets of medieval ex libris indicate the ownership of the book by the monks of St. Mary's Cistercian Abbey in Dublin. The list of owners, subsequent to the dissolution of the monastery, is as follows: Redmond O'Gallagher [Réamonn Ó Gallchobhair], bishop of Killala (1545-69; d.1601); Edward Buggyn (possibly he who d.1590); Patrick Dowdall (fl. sixteenth century) possibly from Co. Louth; James Ley, first earl of Marlborough (c.1552-1629; his coat of arms is stamped on the front cover); Lewis Morris (1701-65) Welsh scholar and poet; Rev. Treadway Nash (1725-1811) of Bevere, near Worcester; John Somers Cocks, first earl Somers (1660-1841) in whose family it remained until 2014, when it was purchased by the Library of Trinity College Dublin, with support.
Subject
Format
Medium
  • pigment
  • ink
Support
  • parchment (animal material)
Culture
  • Irish
Digital Object Id
  • MS11500_231
Source
  • 0152235

Relationships

Parent works and subseries:

Items