Literary commonplace book, .  Public Deposited
- Shelf Mark/Reference Number
- IE TCD MS 4396
- Rights statement
- Copyright The Board of Trinity College Dublin. Images are available for single-use academic application only. Publication, transmission or display is prohibited without formal written approval of the Library of Trinity College, Dublin.
- Date Created
- IE TCD MS 4396: Literary commonplace book.This is a working notebook, from the spring/summer of 1907 and previously numbered 33, in which John Millington Synge entered a plan for the projected 'Wicklow book' (fols 4v-5r) and Wicklow sketches, some written up on a day to day basis (fols 1v-4r, 5v-44). At the same time Synge was writing the related poems 'In May (folio 52r)', 'It is a Month' (folio 52v, 54r, 55v), and 'The Masque of May' (folio 53r-v, 55r, 57r, 58r). Other poems drafted here include 'Patch-Shoneen' (fol 51v), 'On an Anniversary' (fol 51r), and 'The Passing of the Shee' (fol 50v). Folio 56 is merely a stub of a torn page.The notebook also includes a description of Drogheda and district (folios 45v-49)r, a sketch for an essay on 'Historical and Peasant Drama' (fols 59r-61v), some dialogue for Playboy (fols 62r-v), and some scattered notes on literature.
- Collection title
- Papers of John Millington Synge
- Series title
- Papers of John Millington Synge: literary papers
- After Synge’s death in 1909 all his papers were inherited by his nephew and literary executor Edward M. Stephens. They were purchased by the Library, in 1969, from Stephens’ widow Lily M. Stephens.
- book cloth (textile material)
- Digital Object Id
Literary commonplace book, . 
- Parent works and subseries:
|Thumbnail||Title||Shelf Mark/Reference Number||Visibility||Actions|
|Literary commonplace book, . : folio 1 to 25v, plus front cover||IE TCD MS 4396||Public|
|Literary commonplace book, . : folio 26 to 50v||IE TCD MS 4396||Public|
|Literary commonplace book, . : folio 51 to 65v, plus back cover||IE TCD MS 4396||Public|
|MS4396_001_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 4396||Public||