Mahaffy Family Collection Public Deposited
Downloadable ContentDownload image
- Rights statement
- Copyright The Board of Trinity College Dublin. Images are available for single-use academic application only. Publication, transmission or display is prohibited without formal written approval of the Library of Trinity College, Dublin.
- Date Created
- The Mahaffy Family Collection comprises a collection of autographs largely made up from the correspondence of the Reverend Sir John Pentland Mahaffy (IE TCD MS 2075), and his autobiography in 61 folios (IE TCD MS 11137). Mahaffy was born in Switzerland in 1839 to Irish parents. He studied Classics and Philosophy in Trinity College Dublin, and held the Chair in Ancient History there from 1871. He became Provost of the College in 1914. He married Frances Letitia MacDougall (d. 1908) in 1865, and had two daughters, Rachel Mary (d. 1944) and Elsie (d.1926), and two sons Arthur William (d.1919) and Robert Pentland (d. 1943). Mahaffy died in 1919. The collection also includes Elsie Mahaffy’s account of the Easter Rising (IE TCD MS 2074).
- IE TCD MS 2075 was presented to the Library of Trinity College Dublin by Miss Rachel Mahaffy, a daughter of John Pentland Mahaffy, 7 May 1927. IE TCD MS 11137 was donated by Rupert Mahaffy, son of Robert Pentland Mahaffy and grandson of John Pentland Mahaffy, March 2001.
- Mahaffy, Rachel, -1944, Donor
- Mahaffy, Rupert, 1923-2005, Donor
- Resource type
- paper (fiber product)
- Digital Object Id
Mahaffy Family Collection
- Parent works and subseries:
This object has no parent works or subseries.
|Thumbnail||Title||Shelf Mark/Reference Number||Visibility||Actions|
|Oscar Wilde, 25 Albemarle Street, to Arthur Mahaffy||IE TCD MS 2075/326||Public|
|Oscar Wilde, Haymarket Theatre, to John Pentland Mahaffy||IE TCD MS 2075/325||Public|
|Autobiography of the Reverend Sir John Pentland Mahaffy||IE TCD MS 11137||Public|
|Elsie Mahaffy's account of the Easter Rising||IE TCD MS 2074||Public|