Letters of Patrick Hone Public Deposited
Downloadable ContentDownload image
Letters of Patrick Hone, IE TCD MS 11274/1-125.
- IE TCD MS 11274 is a collection of letters and assorted ephemera written mostly by Captain William Patrick ‘Pat’ Hone MC to his first wife, Mary Edith Stewart Collis Hone, whilst he was serving in France during World War I. Hone was a descendant of artist Nathaniel Hone, and a relative of stained glass artist Evie Hone. He was a brother of the publisher Joseph Maunsell Hone. Born in Dublin in 1866 he was educated at Wellington College in Berkshire, and later in Trinity College Dublin’s School of Engineering, from which he graduated in 1910. Upon completion of his studies Hone worked in Dublin on the Cross Guns Bridge, and, from 1911, in Canada on the Canadian Pacific Railway. He subsequently joined the 2nd Canadian Division Engineers, who fought on the Western Front. He became a Lieutenant and was later appointed as acting-Captain in 1918, the same year in which he was awarded the Military Cross.His first wife Mary, who died in 1941, was a member of the Collis family. She also went to France during the War where she worked in a canteen as part of the effort.After the War, Hone went to work in India where his daughter, the author Leland Bardwell, was born. He worked on the Madras Southern and Western Railway. The family returned to Ireland and set up home in Leixlip House, where Hone founded a furniture manufacturing business. He also published a book in 1956 entitled The history of cricket in Ireland. He died in 1976. See also the Library's online exhibition, 'Fit as Fiddles and as Hard as Nails' https://www.tcd.ie/library/fitasfiddles/the-authors/william-patrick-pat-hone/ which features images from the collection.
- Date Created
- paper (fiber product)
- Acquired by the Library of Trinity College Dublin in 2007 as part of the literary archive: Papers of Leland Bardwell, IE TCD MS 11273.
- Letters (correspondence)
- Shelf Mark/Reference Number
- IE TCD MS 11274/1-125
- Manuscripts & Archives Research Library, Trinity College Dublin
- Rights statement
- Copyright The Board of Trinity College Dublin. Images are available for single-use academic application only. Publication, transmission or display is prohibited without formal written approval of the Library of Trinity College, Dublin.
- Last modified
- Resource type
- Digital Object Id
- Parent works and subseries:
This object has no parent works or subseries.
|Christmas card sent to Leland Hone, undated||08/05/2020||Public|
|Your chances in journalism, by a well-known author and journalist||08/05/2020||Public|
|Letter to Patrick Hone, 21 October 1916||08/05/2020||Public|
|Letter from Dick Drydale to Mary Collis Hone, [1916?]||08/05/2020||Public|