Work

 

Annals of Ulster. IE TCD MS 1282 Public Deposited

Annals of Ulster. IE TCD MS 1282

Alternative title
  • Annales Ultonienses
  • Annála Uladh
Shelf Mark/Reference Number
  • IE TCD MS 1282 ; former shelfmark: H.1.8
Location
Creator
Contributors
DOI
Rights statement
  • Copyright The Board of Trinity College Dublin. Images are available for single-use academic application only. Publication, transmission or display is prohibited without formal written approval of the Library of Trinity College, Dublin.
Copyright status
Date Created
  • start 1470
  • end 1504
Language
Abstract
  • The Annals of Ulster (TCD MS 1282, formerly MS H. 1. 8) is a vellum manuscript of 120 folios held in the Library of Trinity College Dublin. It is a substantial chronicle of medieval Ireland, extending from AD81 to 1504 (there are a few gaps in this as a result of loss of folios). The Annals were compiled under the patronage of Cathal Mac Maghnusa (1439-98) at Seanaidh Mac Maghnusa, now Belle Isle in Lough Erne, Co. Fermanagh. The principal scribe of the manuscript is identified as Ruaidhrí Ó Luinín (died 1528) who has written as far as the year 1489. Ruaidhrí Ó Caiside, Archdeacon of Clogher (died 1541), is identified as the person responsible for the marginal and interlinear additions and also for completing the text for the years 1489-1504. The manuscript folios were numbered 1-143 sometime before 1630 by Sir James Ware, but twenty-two of these folios have since been lost. The surviving 120 remaining folios were re-foliated in 1993, but the older foliation remains visible and runs from 12-143. It is evident from current scholarship that TCD MS 1282 served as the exemplar for Rawl. B. 489, now housed in the Bodleian. The Annals of Ulster were also used as a source by Mícheál Ó Cléirigh in the 17th century in his compilation of the Annals of the Four Masters. Please see the Manuscripts & Archives Research Library’s catalogue entry for the MS here: https://manuscripts.catalogue.tcd.ie/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=IE+TCD+MS+1282&pos=1
Provenance
  • Bought at auction by the Trinity historian Thomas Leland in 1766 and it has been in the Library of Trinity College ever since. It was also previously in the hands of Archbishop James Ussher, and John Conry, Dublin.
Subject
Keyword
Format
Resource type
Medium
  • ink
Support
  • vellum (parchment)
Culture
  • Irish
Digital Object Id
  • MS1282_001
Source
  • 0002645

Relationships

Parent works and subseries:

This object has no parent works or subseries.

In Collection:

Items