Work

 

Lives of Saints, etc. IE TCD MS 174: folios 124r-124v etc. Medical miscellany (fragment) Public Deposited

Lives of Saints, etc. IE TCD MS 174: folios 124r-124v etc. Medical miscellany (fragment)

Alternative title
  • Medical miscellany (fragment)
Shelf Mark/Reference Number
  • IE TCD MS 174, folios 124r-124v
Location
Creator
Contributors
Rights statement
  • Copyright The Board of Trinity College Dublin. Images are available for single-use academic application only. Publication, transmission or display is prohibited without formal written approval of the Library of Trinity College, Dublin.
Copyright status
Date Created
  • between approximately 1078-1125
Language
Abstract
  • IE TCD MS 174, Lives of Saints, etc. Folios 124r-v: Fragment from another work used as end flyleaf, composed in 5 columns in a 12th-century transitional English protogothic minuscule hand. This leaf is inserted sideways in the codex and 124v may possibly be the true recto. The 5 columns on 124r and 1st column on 124v provide medical advice on diet. The second column on 124v (in a different hand from rest of 124r-v text) instructs the physician how to take leave of his patient courteously after the recovery: precepta mea diligenter obseruastis. Tempus est ut de petenda licentia competenter uobis sicut in ceteris documentis predictis et nunc consulere non desistam’ Aput ipsum ergo hunc sermonem habeatis Omnipotens misericordia sua per ministrum nostrum dignatus est hunc dominum, ad quem uocati sumus, pristine reddere sanitati’ Rogamus ergo ut per uos nobis detur licentia et sit honesta dimissio’ cum gratiarum acceptione referta bursa cum gaudio et hilaritate, primo a domino, demum ab omnibus in domo ex???, si fieri potest, perpetrata licentia uade in pace. Column 2 on 124v also lists medical symptoms and their significance, e.g.: liuida et discolorata uitium gutte significant. Columns 3 and 4 on 124v are philosophical, dealing with such matters as ‘qualitas’, ‘dispositio’ and ‘habitus’, ‘albus’ as distinct from ‘albedo’ (cf. the opening of Aristotle’s Categoriae (Book 3) in the version of Boethius (PL, 64: 239-243)). Column 5, the final column on 124v, deals with how physicians should work: Quando igitur, o medice, ad egrotum uocaberis, adiutorium tuum sit dum angelus qui comitatus est Thobiam, affectum mentis et gressus cordis comitetur’ Et hec que diximus admod[um] ut in omnibus tuis moribus astantium compares fauorem’ The second column on 124v seems to give the conclusion of the work represented on 5th column of 124v (cf Oxford, Bodleian Library, Lyell MS empt. 2 and London Royal College of Physicians 359; cf. Oxford, Pembroke College MS 21; L. Thorndike and P. Kibre, 'A Catalogue of Incipits of Mediaeval Scientific Writings in Latin', second edition, Mediaeval Academy of America, (Cambridge, MA., 1963), columns 323, 329; cf. De Aduentu Medici Ad Aegrotum, ed. Salvatore de Renzi, 'Collectio Salernitana' 2, (Naples, 1853), 74-80; cf. Archimatheus, 'Instructio Medici', ed. de Renzi, o.c. 5, (Naples, 1859), 333-349). The leaf, trimmed to 151 x 265 mm, has loss of text at the sides and foot. Some of the upper part of the leaf may be seen in the strip, with writing on its recto and verso, after 116v. For further information see the Manuscripts & Archives Research Library’s catalogue entry for the manuscript here: https://manuscripts.catalogue.tcd.ie/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=IE+TCD+MS+174&pos=1
Provenance
  • MS begun at Old Sarum Cathedral following the first establishment of canons by St Osmond, bishop of Salisbury (r. 1078-1099) with ownership demonstrated by Old English inscription on flyleaf (i), ‘of searbyrig ic eom’ (I am of Salisbury), in English Vernacular minuscule hand. The MS is listed as item no. 160, ‘Vita et miracula S. Andreae’, on Patrick Young’s 1622 catalogue of Salisbury Cathedral manuscripts. The volume remained at Salisbury until it was borrowed in 1640 as the fifth of six manuscripts by The Most Reverend James Ussher, Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland (r. 1625-1656), as evident from a memorandum now at Salisbury: ‘Bookes borrowed out of the Library of that Church of Sarum for the use of the Lord Primate of Ireland: and delivered by Dr. Baylie dean of the Church unto his Grace...The fifth beginning thus. Incipiunt capitulae de libro Miraculorum sancti Andreae. And ending - Qui nos ad principium huius diei peruenire fecisti, tua nos’. The memorandum is followed by an acknowledgement of the receipt of the six books, signed by Ussher and dated 30 September 1640 (N.R. Ker, ‘Books, Collectors and Libraries: Studies in the Medieval Heritage’ (London, 1985), 181). In quoting the end of the text as it now appears (123v), the memorandum shows that the injury to the leaf had existed in the time of Ussher. The volume was then reportedly stolen from Ussher’s house in Chelsea in 1643, but later recovered and returned to Ussher (Ker o.c., 182-183). MS features the shelfmark of Ussher’s book collection, ‘HHH.53’ on flyleaf (ii). The Ussher library was gifted by King Charles II to Trinity College Dublin in 1661.
Sponsor
  • Digitisation work was made possible by a grant from the Carnegie Corporation of New York.
Subject
Keyword
Format
Resource type
Medium
  • ink
Support
  • vellum (parchment)
  • parchment (animal material)
Culture
  • English
Digital Object Id
  • MS174_257
Source
  • 0152389

Relationships

Parent works and subseries:

Items