Cromwell family of Ardglass, Co. Down: family and estate papers Poiblí Deposited
Downloadable ContentÍoslódáil íomha
Cromwell family of Ardglass, Co. Down: family and estate papers.
- The Cromwell’s of Ardglass were descended from Thomas Cromwell, Chief Minster of Henry VIII, and were related to Oliver Cromwell the Lord Protector. Edward, 3rd Baron Comwell, acquired extensive property in the barony of Lecale, Co. Down, where he settled in 1605. His son and successor was created Baron Lecale in 1624, and in return for his services to Charles I was further ennoble in 1645 as Earl of Ardglass. The family became extinct in 1709 upon the death of his granddaughter Elizabeth, Barnoness Cromwell, in 1709, the property passing to her husband Edward Southwell. The Ardglass Papers, IE TCD MS 11353, are important in that they provide an intimate picture of the settlement of an Ulster barony at a critical period in Irish History. It comprises less than fifty documents, bound in a folio-sized volume between cardboard covers, but must have originally have contained more, as many of the numbered pages in the volume are now missing. They are all either original documents or contemporary copies. They include letters, bonds, leases, patents, reports and surveys. The contents tell of carrying fortunes of an important landed family—granting of patents of their new property, surveys of that property, correspondence between landlord and agent, their relationship with ecclesiastical neighbours—the troublesome Dean Coote and the illustrious Bishop Leslie, the depredations suffered during the rebellion of 1641, the attempts to revive the estate in subsequent years and the final financial decline exemplified by the series of bond mortgages.
- Teideal malartach
- Ardglass Papers
- Teideal bailiúcháin
- Cromwell family of Ardglass, Co. Down: family and estate papers
- paper (fiber product)
- Presented to Trinity College Dublin Library in 2008.
- manuscripts (document genre)
- Cód seilf/Uimhir thagartha
- IE TCD MS 11353
- Manuscripts & Archives Research Library, Trinity College Dublin
- Ráiteas cearta
- Copyright The Board of Trinity College Dublin. Images are available for single-use academic application only. Publication, transmission or display is prohibited without formal written approval of the Library of Trinity College, Dublin.
- Mionathraithe go deireanach
- Cromwell, Edward, 3rd Baron Cromwell, 1559-1607, Associated Name
- Cromwell, Thomas, 6th Baron Cromwell, 1653-1682, Associated Name
- Cromwell, Vere Essex, 7th Baron Cromwell, 1625-1687, Associated Name
- Cromwell, Thomas, 4th Baron Cromwell, 1594-1653, Associated Name
- Cromwell, Elizabeth, Baroness Cromwell of Oakham, 1674-1709, Associated Name
- Cromwell, Wingfield, 5th Baron Comwell, 1627-1668, Associated Name
- Cineál acmhainne
- Aitheantóir Oibiachta Digití
- Máthairshaothair agus foshraitheanna:
Ní bhaineann máthairshaothair ná foshraitheanna leis an ábhar seo.
|Mionsamhail||Teideal||Dáta a uaslódáladh||Infheictheacht||Gníomhartha|
|Cromwell: family and estate papers. Item 1||08/05/2020||Poiblí|
|Cromwell: family and estate papers. Item 2||08/05/2020||Poiblí|
|Cromwell: family and estate papers. Item 3||08/05/2020||Poiblí|
|Cromwell: family and estate papers. Item 4||08/05/2020||Poiblí|
|Cromwell: family and estate papers. Item 5||08/05/2020||Poiblí|
|Cromwell: family and estate papers. Item 6||08/05/2020||Poiblí|
|Cromwell: family and estate papers. Item 7||08/05/2020||Poiblí|
|Cromwell: family and estate papers. Item 8||08/05/2020||Poiblí|
|Cromwell: family and estate papers. Item 9||08/05/2020||Poiblí|
|Cromwell: family and estate papers. Item 10||08/05/2020||Poiblí|