Waldensian poems and tracts. IE TCD MS 267 Public Deposited
- Alternative title
- IE TCD MS 267
- Shelf Mark/Reference Number
- IE TCD MS 267 ; former shelfmarks: Lyon: C.5.25 ; c1670: [A.1.26?]
- Rights statement
- Copyright The Board of Trinity College Dublin. Images are available for single-use academic application only. Publication, transmission or display is prohibited without formal written approval of the Library of Trinity College, Dublin.
- Copyright status
- Public domain
- Date Created
- approximately 1520
- Physical extent
- vii, 409 folios (see note in Abstract)
- IE TCD MS 267 is a Waldensian manuscript which contains: Calendar / Sins and their remedies / De la tauerna / Del bal / Sermons for the year / Del matrimoni / Virgenas / Qual cosa sia Antichrist / Beneuranczas. Dated around 1520 (proposed by Jean Paul Perrin). This codex contains almost exclusively works in the Vaudois dialect: see T.K. Abbott in 'Hermathena' no.17 (1891) 204-206 and M. Esposito in 'Journal of Theological Studies' 18 (1917) 180-181 and in 'Revue d’histoire ecclésiastique' 46 (1951) 144-146, 157; Anne-Claire Jolliot-Brenon in 'Positions des thèses', École des Chartes, (Paris, 1970), 101; E. Balmas in 'Protestantismo' 29 (1974) 158-169. But the codex also includes the following in Latin described as follows in Marvin L. Colker, 'Trinity College Dublin Library: Descriptive Catalogue of the Medieval and Renaissance Latin Manuscripts', (Dublin, 1991): Folios 1v-7: (1) Calendar (not full), partly in Vaudois, holy days entered in red or black. Among the entries in red: Exuressio (!) domini (29 March 2v). Among the entries in black: Francis (on 6). Added in 16th century. (4v): Visitatio beate Marie. 1 blank. Modern front flyleaf indicates, by modern pencil notes, that the first leaf of the calendar (January), before having been transferred to IE TCD MS 267 on 18 March 1897, had been bound with IE TCD MS 260 (J.H. Todd, 'The Books of the Vaudois: The Waldensian Manuscripts Preserved in the Library of Trinity College Dublin', (London and Cambridge, 1865), 22, mentions the leaf as part of TCD MS 260 though he recognizes that the leaf did not properly belong with 260). Folio7v: (2) Easter table (cf. Easter table in TCD MS 260), with dominical letters and these headings for entries: Claues, Luna, Concorentes. In the margin the date 1520, in red and boxed with red, was changed to 1120. Abbott, t.c. 205, raises suspicion that the alteration was made by Jean-Paul Perrin (see Perrin, 'Histoire des Vaudois', (Geneva, 1619), 57), cf. also [A. Herbert?], in Todd o.c. 94- 95. Foliated vii, 409 as follows: i-vii, 1-120, 119[a], 120[a], 121-142, [1 unfoliated leaf after 142], 143-294, 294[a], 295, 295a, 296-409.
- For IE TCD MS 267 see J.H. Todd, 'Hermathena' no. 17, (1892); Mario Esposito, 'Journal of Theological Studies' 18, (1917), pp 180-181; Poetz, Joanna, Analyse de IE TCD MSS 259, 260, 262, 263, et 267 et edition critique d'Ayezo es la Causa de departiment de la gleysa romana de ''Epistola al serenissimo rey Lancelau et de Qual Cosa si antichrist, unpublished PhD thesis submitted through TCD Department of French, 2020
- Collection title
- Romance Language Manuscripts
- Finding aid
- IE TCD MS 267 was, in around 1603, in Vaudois in the hands of Dominique Vigneaux d’’Angrogne, a pastor in the Piedmontese Val de Pragela; later the Synode des Vallées sent this manuscript, with others, to Jean-Paul Perrin for use in his 'Histoire des Vaudois', which was published in Geneva, 1619; by 1635, James Ussher had purchased these manuscripts from a French jurisconsult of unknown name: see M. Esposito in 'Revue d’histoire ecclésiastique' 46 (1951), 129-130.
- Resource type
- Digital Object Id
Waldensian poems and tracts. IE TCD MS 267
- Parent works and subseries:
- In Collection:
This object has no parent works or subseries.
|Thumbnail||Title||Shelf Mark/Reference Number||Visibility||Actions|
|Waldensian poems and tracts. IE TCD MS 267: folios 1-100||IE TCD MS 267 ; former shelfmarks: Lyon: C.5.25 ; c1670: [A.1.26?]||Public|
|Waldensian poems and tracts. IE TCD MS 267: folios 101-200||IE TCD MS 267 ; former shelfmarks: Lyon: C.5.25 ; c1670: [A.1.26?]||Public|
|Waldensian poems and tracts. IE TCD MS 267: folios 201-300||IE TCD MS 267 ; former shelfmarks: Lyon: C.5.25 ; c1670: [A.1.26?]||Public|
|Waldensian poems and tracts. IE TCD MS 267: folios 301-409||IE TCD MS 267 ; former shelfmarks: Lyon: C.5.25 ; c1670: [A.1.26?]||Public|
|MS267_427_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 267 ; former shelfmarks: Lyon: C.5.25 ; c1670: [A.1.26?]||Public||