Travel journal of the O’Brien family, August-December 1816 Poiblí Deposited
- Cód seilf/Uimhir thagartha
- IE TCD MS 5093
- Ráiteas cearta
- Copyright The Board of Trinity College Dublin. Images are available for single-use academic application only. Publication, transmission or display is prohibited without formal written approval of the Library of Trinity College, Dublin.
- Copyright status
- Public domain
- Dáta a cruthaíodh
- issued 1816
- IE TCD MS 5093 is a paperback notebook containing two different hands, those of Sir Edward O’Brien and his wife Charlotte; it is dated 26 August- December 1816, and comprises 47 folios. Charlotte (married 1799; née Smith, daughter of William Smith, Cahirmoyle in Co. Limerick) begins this journal on 26 August 1816 when they leave Dover, England and arrive in Calais, France. The journal is then continued by Sir Edward after he leaves his family in Calais with some acquaintances ‘to visit Dunkirk, Bruges, Ostend and Brussels’. Sir Edward notes the differences between French and English society, such as the price of goods in markets, cultivation and housekeeping practices. He pays a visit to the site of the Battle of Waterloo visiting the Château d’Hougoumont, walking La Belle Alliance and reflecting that ‘the bones of forty thousand gallant soldiers lie interred in this famous field’. Sir Edward continues on through Belgium visiting Flanders, Bruges and finally returning to his family in Boulogne-sur-Mer on 17 September 1816. Accompanied by his family and with his wife now keeping the journal they travel through Paris to Orleans where they settle for 3 months. Sir Edward’s wife is particular interested in how French society works, the people’s manners and their dress. Journal entries are on the recto but appear on both recto and verso from folio 37 onwards. Contents: --Folio 1: Sir Edward’s wife’s hand England: Dover France: Calais, Boulogne-sur-Mer --Folio 3: Sir Edward’s hand France: Cassel --Folio 9: France: Lille Belgium: Tournai, Brussels --Folio 21: Belgium: Brussels, Antwerp, Malines (Mechelen) --Folio 22: Belgium: River Scheldt --Folio 27: Belgium: Flanders --Folio 29: Belgium: Ghent --Folio 34: Belgium: Bruges --Folio 36: France: Dunkirk, Calais --Folio 37: Sir Edward’s wife’s hand France: Boulogne-sur-Mer, Paris, Abbeville, Montreuil, Flixecourt, Amiens --Folio 39: France: Chantilly, Paris --Folio 41: France: Orleans --Folio 45: France: Paris, Boulogne-sur-Mer, Calais England.
- Presented to Trinity College Dublin Library in 1971.
- Cineál acmhainne
- marbled paper
- Aitheantóir Oibiachta Digití
Travel journal of the O’Brien family, August-December 1816
- Máthairshaothair agus foshraitheanna:
Ní bhaineann máthairshaothair ná foshraitheanna leis an ábhar seo.
|Mionsamhail||Teideal||Cód seilf/Uimhir thagartha1||Infheictheacht||Gníomhartha|
|MS5093_001_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 5093||Poiblí||
|MS5093_002_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 5093||Poiblí||
|MS5093_003_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 5093||Poiblí||
|MS5093_004_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 5093||Poiblí||
|MS5093_005_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 5093||Poiblí||
|MS5093_006_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 5093||Poiblí||
|MS5093_007_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 5093||Poiblí||
|MS5093_008_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 5093||Poiblí||
|MS5093_009_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 5093||Poiblí||
|MS5093_010_HI.jpg||IE TCD MS 5093||Poiblí||