Photographs of Dublin University Boat Club. IE TCD MUN CLUB BOAT/Photographs/10/1-255 Public Deposited

Image download in the viewer below is not working properly at the moment. Thank you for your patience while we try to resolve the issue. Please contact for assistance if needed.

Photographs of Dublin University Boat Club. IE TCD MUN CLUB BOAT/Photographs/10/1-255

Shelf Mark/Reference Number
  • IE TCD MUN CLUB BOAT/Photographs/10/1-255
Rights statement
  • Copyright The Board of Trinity College Dublin. Images are available for single-use academic application only. Publication, transmission or display is prohibited without formal written approval of the Library of Trinity College, Dublin.
Publisher location
  • Dublin, Ireland
Date Created
  • between approximately 1863-2008
  • IE TCD MUN CLUB BOAT/Photographs/10/1-255, a series of photographs of members of the Dublin University Rowing Club/Dublin University Boat Club dating from 1863 to 2008. Includes four paintings and a drawing of boating scenes.
Biographical note
  • "Formed in 1836, the Pembroke Club represents the earliest iteration of organised rowing in the University of Dublin... The Pembroke Club enjoyed a short-lived existence rowing on the industrial waters of Ringsend, primarily rowing in small boats along the Dodder. Joined in the 1840{u2019}s by the University Rowing Club, there existed for a time two separate rowing clubs for students of Trinity. 1847 witnessed the merger of these two clubs with the formation of the Dublin University Rowing Club (D.U.R.C.) D.U.R.C. raced successfully across Ireland and Great Britain as the sole rowing club of Trinity College until 1867, when the dual identity found itself re-established with the formation of the Dublin University Boat Club (D.U.B.C.) from the ranks of DURC. The latter part of the 19th Century saw the Boat Club and the Rowing Club challenge for dominance within the college and beyond... The Boat Club proved the superior of the two clubs and in 1898 the second amalgamation in the history of Trinity rowing was observed when the clubs joined forces under the name of the Dublin University Boat Club, rowing in the familiar black and white zephyrs of the Boat Club. Accompanying the formation of this new club was the construction of our current boathouse alongside the tranquil water of the Liffey at Islandbridge. The new boathouse also played host to the first modern Trinity Regatta which has been raced annually since 1898, save for an exception during the years of the First World War." Source: Dublin University Boat Club website, accessed 18/01/2023 at
Related url
Collection title
  • TCD Archives: Dublin University Boat Club
  • Archives of Trinity College Dublin
Resource type
  • ink
  • paper (fiber product)
  • photographic paper
  • b204388958


Parent works and subseries: