Papers of John Millington Synge: Photographs Public Deposited
- Shelf Mark/Reference Number
- IE TCD MS 11332/2-57
- Rights statement
- Copyright The Board of Trinity College Dublin. Images are available for single-use academic application only. Publication, transmission or display is prohibited without formal written approval of the Library of Trinity College, Dublin.
- Date Created
- approximately 1900
- Photograph collection of John Millington Synge (1871-1909).These are digital captures of the original glass plate and celluloid negatives, which were donated to Trinity by the Synge family. Previous reproductions of these originals appeared in the Dolmen Press publication, My wallet of photographs: the collected photographs of J. M. Synge.Glass plate negatives extant: 3, 7, 8, 10, 16, 18, 20, 23, 24, 27, 28, 29, 30, 32, 33, 34, 37, 38, 40, 42, 44, 45, 53 (all from My Wallet)Original celluloid negatives and pre-1971 copy negatives: 2-40; 42-53Captions for Synge’s photographs are based on My wallet of photographs: the collected photographs of J. M. Synge, arranged and introduced by Lilo Stephens (Dublin: Dolmen Editions, 1971).None of the photographs are dated but they probably range from 1898 to the early 1900s. There is a reference to Synge purchasing his first camera, a Lancaster hand camera, from a fellow visitor on his first visit to the Inis Mór in 1898 (see My Uncle John: Edward Stephens’s Life of J. M. Synge, ed by Andrew Carpenter (OUP 1974) pp117-118). This camera pre-dated the model that appears as a frontispiece in My Wallet.
- After Synge’s death in 1909 all his papers were inherited by his nephew and literary executor Edward M. Stephens. They were purchased by the Library, in 1969, from Stephens’ widow Lily M. Stephens.After Synge’s death in 1909 all his papers were inherited by his nephew and literary executor Edward M. Stephens. They were purchased by the Library, in 1969, from Stephens’ widow Lily M. Stephens.
- Resource type
- photographic paper
- Digital Object Id
Papers of John Millington Synge: Photographs
- Parent works and subseries:
- In Collection:
This object has no parent works or subseries.