Work

 

Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, etc. IE TCD MS 631. Part 3, folios 91 to 100 Public Deposited

Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, etc. IE TCD MS 631. Part 3, folios 91 to 100

Shelf Mark/Reference Number
  • IE TCD MS 631
Location
Creator
Contributor
Rights statement
  • Copyright The Board of Trinity College Dublin. Images are available for single-use academic application only. Publication, transmission or display is prohibited without formal written approval of the Library of Trinity College, Dublin.
Publisher location
  • [England]
Date Created
  • [1574]
Physical extent
  • 10 folios ; 21 x 15 cm.
Language
Abstract
  • IE TCD MS 631, Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, etc., is a composite manuscript consisting of four parts that were produced separately in England, written between the late 16th and early 17th centuries. This third part, folios 91-100 (images 189-208), contains a letter from John Dee to William Camden, dated 7 August 1574. Transcripts of this letter are now in Oxford, Bodleian Library MS Ashmole 1788 and Dublin, Archbishop Marsh's Library MS Z3.5.24. Heading, on folio 91: Sincerioris philosophiae Gulielmo Camdeno. Main body, folio 91: Quas ante aliquot iam elapsos dies (humanissime mi Gulielme) - paratissimum et addictissimum inuenies. Valeas itaque: Tuorumque in tuis ad me literis bene uiuas promissorum memor. / Mortlaco Ao 1574. / Augusti 7. Includes autograph signature of John Dee (folio 100). 100v left blank. Layout: Single column, c20-34 lines. Script in part 3: secretary hand with headings and annotations in Italic script of John Dee; late 16th or early 17th century secretary hand. Text with marginal notes and corrections in Dee's hand: 'ueritatisque historicae studioso', folio 91; 'Fidelis Amicus tuus Iohannes Dee', folio 100. Additional marginalia in a 16th-century Italic hand: 'Locrobrytanus' and other efforts at placenames and 'Cambrobrytanicus Anglus', folio 100. Collation analysis: full collation analysis not possible, except for part 1 (folios 1-21) where quire signatures present: A (1), B (9), C (17) and D (21). Catchwords also present (6v, 7r-v, 8v, 9r-v, 11v, 12, 13-20v). Watermarks: part 3, folios 91-100, features watermark of jug with flowers surmounted by quatrefoil, resembling Briquet nos. 12660-71.
Note
  • Former shelfmarks: Lyon: E.5.19 ; Bernard: 301; Foley: [G.6]; c1670: [H.1.3]
Related url
Bibliography
  • This description was adapted (2021) from the following sources: T.K. Abbott, 'Catalogue of the Manuscripts in the Library of Trinity College, Dublin' (Dublin, 1900), no. 631; M.L. Colker, 'Trinity College Library Dublin Descriptive Catalogue of the Mediaeval and Renaissance Latin Manuscripts' (Aldershot, 1991), no. 631; J. Roberts and A.G. Watson, 'John Dee's Library Catalogue' (London, 1990), no. DM17; J. Scattergood, with N. Pattwell and E. Williams, 'Trinity College Library Dublin: A Descriptive Catalogue of Manuscripts Containing Middle English and Some Old English' (Dublin, 2021), 324-25. For IE TCD MS 631, see J. Ingram (ed.), 'The Saxon Chronicle' (London, 1823) xxi-xxii; B. Thorpe, 'Anglo-Saxon Chronicle' 1, Rolls Series, (London, 1861), xx; W. O'Sullivan, 'Ussher as a Collector of Manuscripts', in 'Hermathena' no. 88 (1956), 39; A. Lutz, 'Die version G der angelsachcischen Cronik: Rekonstruction und Edition' (Munich, 1981); J. Roberts and A.G. Watson, 'John Dee's Library Catalogue' (London, 1990) item no. DM17 on 161, 245; J. Scattergood, with N. Pattwell and E. Williams, 'Trinity College Library Dublin: A Descriptive Catalogue of Manuscripts Containing Middle English and Some Old English' (Dublin, 2021), 324-25.
Finding aid
Provenance
  • The first part of IE TCD MS 631 was copied by lawyer and antiquarian William Lambarde (1536-1601), between 1563 and 9 April 1564, and was later acquired by James Ussher, archbishop of Armagh and primate of All Ireland (r. 1625-1656) as evidenced by inscription in his own hand (21) and mention of the text in a letter from jurist John Selden (1584-1654) to Ussher, dated 14 September 1625: 'I have returned the Saxon annals again, as you desired, with this suit, that if you have more of them (for these are very slight ones)' (C.R. Elrington (ed.), 'The Whole Works of the Most Reverend James Ussher, D.D.', vol. 15 (Dublin, 1864), Letter XCVIII, p. 302). The third part of the manuscript is dated 7 August 1574 and was copied at Mortlake, home of astronomer and antiquarian John Dee (1527-1608/09) and features corrections in his own hand throughout and autograph signature (folio 100). The compiled manuscript does not feature the shelfmark of Ussher's library, but likely entered the collections through the gift of the library by King Charles II to Trinity College Dublin in 1661.
Sponsor
  • This digitisation work was made possible by a grant from the Carnegie Corporation of New York.
Subject
Keyword
Format
Resource type
Medium
  • ink
Support
  • leather
  • paper (fiber product)
Source
  • b197268961

Relationships

Parent works and subseries:

Items